Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Fun Groom's Cakes


Although the bride's cake is usually the focal point of a wedding, I thought I would inaugurate my first blog post with a little chat about fun groom's cakes. I live in a southern state, so about 3/4 of the guys want a groom's cake of some sort, whether it's cookies and cupcakes or an elaborate sculpted cake.
In the past month I had opportunities to make some fun and challenging groom's cakes. (It's not really a worthwhile week without a design challenge!)



Yes, this armadillo was a red velvet cake. I might email the bride for some pics of the poor guy butchered. It was a challenge to finish, though, since I hadn't done one before. I ended up cutting out each scale individually in fondant. It was also the first time I had done a stadium, so I had fun (and frustration) figuring out how to make the different elements, especially the stands. It was a surprise for the groom - I can't wait to hear what his reaction was!

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Just when I thought your cake designs couldn't get any awesomer...

LeftyMama said...

Love the stadium, Paloma! What a fun surprise for the die-hard football fan! Can't wait to see more pics of your work.

Fleurdelys said...

These are fabulous!

Cheryl said...

In an attempt to show Ross that we have "the coolest cake lady in Austin!" I showed him the stadium. NOW he gets it. Great job on the blog!