Tuesday, March 17, 2009

A blue trend?




It's not too often that brides pick blue for their wedding colors, but this past week we had 3 wedding cakes in which blue was the primary color. They are all very different in style and design except for the shared medium to dark blue tones. Most wedding cakes tend to be pastels, ivory or white, so it was nice to bring out the vibrant colors.
I also enjoyed working with each bride in that they were both enthusiastic and openminded about the cake designs. I didn't have much experience with the brush embroidery technique (on the third cake) so I referenced my Colette Peters books - she has easy and detailed instructions on all sorts of cake decorating techniques. Even the pros need to pick up tips here and there. Here's a detail shot of the technique.

It involves piping and then brushing royal icing to create an embroidered look. Yes, that's why they call it "brush embroidery". Very time-consuming.
Next week we have lots of fabulous wedding cakes and groom's cakes. I'll be sure to post them when I recover from exhaustion!

1 comment:

TAL said...

Beautiful wedding cake design. It's a simple understated elegance.

Very nice.

Timothy