Monday, January 4, 2010

Junior League Tea Table


I tried to take a little break from any work the past 2 weeks with the exception of the few cake orders I had. That meant no blogging, too! I realized that I hadn't posted the cake I designed for the Junior League's Tearoom Topper. The tea service is one of the events they had lined up for the Christmas Affair they do every year.
This year's theme was "Wild in Africa".
I'm not going to get into the fact that most tables were safari/animal themed or crack any jokes about Africa being a country. I may be tired right now, but I can stay neutral. What I did design was a cake that was representative of the beautiful arts and crafts of Africa. I found gorgeous fabrics and jewelry made with shells and beads as well as intricate baskets. Some of the artisan baskets are stunning. These are not the baskets you find at Pier One and World Market. Most of my inspiration came from Mercury Design, an amazing design store on 2nd Street in downtown. In early November they had a display of African arts and crafts that the sales guy was gracious enough to let me photograph.
I'm not sure what this year's theme is yet. If I do it, it will be my third year participating. As for the next few weeks, I have lots of cakes saved up to show you.

No comments: