Monday, May 10, 2010

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious



I feel like when I show off a cake like this one, I ought to give a well-deserved shout-out to my talented staff. For the past 8-9 months, I've been lucky enough to have several gifted women on my team. Whether it's painting (see this cake!), sculpting, piping or just getting everything done, all these women have contributed in some way to the high level of craft expected from a Coco Paloma Desserts cake.
This Mary Poppins cake for twins Jessica and Melody also demonstrates how it takes a team to create a cake that truly wows the client. I'll generally "art direct" the cake, but I also need to divvy out certain tasks to fit people's strengths. Not everyone here bakes and ices cakes, but everyone is artistically gifted in different ways, whether it's painting, sculpture, piping, making flowers, etc. The best part is that we all learn from each other and gain new skills along the way.

1 comment:

Sadia said...

Being the client, I can say "wowed the client" is right! I couldn't bear to destroy such a magnificent work of art and had my husband and mother-in-law do the cutting!

Every guest was rightly awed by the cake. Thank you all for getting every single detail so right. It's hard to impress imaginative four-year-olds, but you did it!